By: Katie Lisbon CPLC
So many of my clients have a difficulty with staying hydrated. Did you know the recommend 8 glasses of water is not enough to keep your body properly hydrated? We actually require more hydration on a daily bases due to weather conditions, physical exercise, and the consumption of caffeinated beverages. But before you start reaching for those colorful sport drinks consider a healthier alternative, coconut water. While not all products are created equal you can find coconut water in almost every grocery and convenient store. The benefits of coconut water might surprise you, but what is coconut water and where does it come from?
What is Coconut Water?
Coconut water is the clear liquid found inside a young, green coconut which is usually about the size of a basketball. It is ideally harvested from large palms trees at 5 – 7 months of age because that is when the coconut contains the most water. The water naturally from within the coconut, making up 94% of the fruit, and it contains very little fat. What most people don’t know is coconut water is a good source of several electrolytes such as sodium, magnesium, calcium, and potassium. But I’m only grazing the surface, because of its high nutritional properties without all the extra sugar and chemicals coconut water a great alternative to sports drinks.
Benefits of Coconut Water?
Drinking coconut water has many benefits:
- Coconut water contains several nutrients including: fiber, vitamin C, magnesium, manganese, potassium, sodium, and calcium.
- Coconut water can help prevent the formation of kidney stones.
- Coconut water has antioxidant properties to combat oxidative stress.
- Coconut water can help prevent blood clots.
- Coconut water can lower blood sugar and increase insulin sensitivity in patients with diabetes.
- Coconut water lowers cholesterol, triglycerides and liver fat.
- Coconut water reduces blood pressure due to its high potassium content.
- Coconut water is a healthier alternative to replenishes electrolytes lost after prolonged activity and/or sweating.
- It is a delicious way to rehydrate
When deciding on a brand of coconut water to try look for brands containing 100% coconut water and avoid the products with added sugar. I personally prefer my coconut water in a can over the box, I feel like it taste better. My favorite brands include 365 from whole foods and C2O. The next time you’re looking for a healthier alternative to staying hydrated, consider giving coconut water a try.